Although Google Plus or Google + as it is often referred to is no longer a new concept online it is still the “new” kid on the block in terms of social platforms. As an online marketing specialist I still get a load of questions like:
- Is Google + really going to catch on?
- Is Google + right for me as a conventional bricks and mortar company?
- How can I use Google + to grow my business online?
- How can Google + bring me fresh leads and most of all ROI?
The short answer is…YES Google + can help with all the above, BUT…
It all starts with taking small and consistent steps first to learn a little more about Google Plus and how to use the basic functions before getting all caught up in the “I’ll never get this right” mindset.
So with that said, I have decided to do a mini series of Google Plus for business articles which should help you to at least get familiar with Google Plus and it’s basic functionality.
Let’s Get Started with Part 1!
It all began with Google Video, originally just a video search engine. Then, suddenly, it seemed, we all learned that Google had acquired YouTube. This merger of the world’s most powerful search portal with the world’s most popular social video platform created new possibilities– both for users and Google alike.
This guide is will explore how to use video on GooglePlus, demystifying the topic completely and leaving you with a solid, practical overview.
- Ways to upload videos to Google+.
- How to link to YouTube.
- Google video chat, known as Google+ Hangouts
And ultimately my goal is to help you understand about YouTube and Google Plus integrations.
Step 1. How to upload videos to Google Plus
First, however, let’s start with the basics: How to upload and/or share videos with Google Plus. Your easiest option is to upload them to YouTube; then link to that video. There are times, however, when you might not want to link to YouTube, so let’s have a look at uploading directly into Google + and showing specific people or Circles.
1. Log into Google +. Go to your Profile Page
2. In your “Share” box, select the video icon
3. A drop-down menu will appear. Select “Upload video”
4. Add a caption to your Movie as it’s uploading which takes a good few minutes– even with a small movie. Just press “enter” when you’ve finished entering your caption. (This will not affect the upload.)
5. When your video has completed its upload, press “Add Videos.”
6. Your video will appear in your feed. Now add a comment and share it with whichever Google + Circle or individuals you want. Added Extra: check the broadcast box supplied to the left of “Also send email to Friends ” to instantly inform those you want to share it with.
Alternate Upload Method— If your Profile is freshly generated or upgraded, you may receive this message in its place, when you try to add upload a movie file.
Step 2. How to link your videos to YouTube
If you’ve actually created your video in Google Plus, link it to YouTube when you share it:
If you prefer to upload your video to YouTube first, you can do so share it the other way round with Google Plus.
YouTube is automatically integrated with Google +
1. Click the YouTube “Upload” button and a window should open to the left. Press the large Up Arrow tab, and select your movie file from your PC.
2. Type in tags (putting in a comma to differentiate them); choose the most ideal category … and make sure your movie mode is “Public”, in order for it to become linked with Google Plus
The “g+” radio button will be checked by default for Auto Share– implying any video you publish on YouTube will instantly be shared on the social platforms checked. You can also check the tabs for Facebook and Twitter too … or dismiss them all, if you prefer. Sharing your video link on Google+ will put it in your stream. (If it doesn’t, share the link directly in your Google Plus feed.)
3. When your movie has completed uploading, thumbnails from within the movie will show up. Pick the one that best represents your movie’s subject, point and environment.
- Copy your fresh link and take down it.
- Make sure your Title is strong, exciting and unique – containing at least one keyword.
- Include a crystal clear or unique description with keywords.
- Create tags with your keywords.
- Choose the most effective category.
- Choose the best thumbnail.
- Make certain you have checked the right sharing box/s.
- Ensure that the settings say “Saved.”
You can also inspect your YouTube videos from inside Google+ by clicking on your Profile button; then clicking your “YouTube” tab in the overhead horizontal menu.
You should find all your Public and Limited Share YouTube videos, viewing your Profile as yourself.
If you adjust the view from “Yourself” to “Public” – top right corner of your horizontal menu – your Limited Share videos won’t be available– you’re now watching the YouTube section of your Profile exactly as a member of the general public would discover this page.
Using Video in Google Plus Hangouts
A Hangout is a multi-participant video chat, with an admin – the person running it – and video screen sharing so that all participants can see each other. Other participants will appear in small screen thumbnails, underneath any participant who is currently speaking.
Hangouts can range from informal chats between a closed group of participants to heavily optimized public Hangout “shows.”
You can select broadcast and live stream your Hangout through Hangouts On Air— and Hangouts are automatically recorded and added to the YouTube profile associated with the admin.
Hangouts are limited to invited participants by default, if you don’t set them to “Public” sharing.
You can also display and see a YouTube video inside a Hangout.
To do this:
- Open YouTube.com/live in your browser. You will find a stream of all currently live broadcasts.
- In a separate window, begin your Hangout and invite your participants.
- Once your Hangout is underway, go back to YouTube Live and select the video you want to share with your hangout.
- Click on the “Share” link underneath the video. Copy the URL.
- Switch back to your Hangout. Open the video tab, enter the URL you copied and browse for it
- Once you find it, click play.
You can participate in a Hangout without a web cam, though you may find that limiting. If you haven’t got one, consult the Hangout admin to make sure participating is fine. A few admins don’t like a blank screen embeded the middle of their hangout participants’ screen displays– especially if they are running a publicized, actual “show”.
Similarly, if you find on joining the hangout that your webcam is not suitable (which seems to happen quite often) you may prefer to ask if you should bow out.
Even though bugs are still being eliminated of Google+ Hangouts and documentation can be tricky, the business and branding possibility is enormous.
Top suggestions for Google+ Hangouts?
Start out simply with a tiny, closed group till you’ve mastered running one!
What You Ought to Understand about YouTube and Google Plus integrations
Google+ Hangouts are integrated with your Google Calendar, which makes it simple never to miss out on a Hangout if you include it to your Calendar events– you’ll get a prompt.
If you allowed AutoShare when you posted your first video, know that you can change this at any time by going to your YouTube Channel settings.
You will will need to have a linked YouTube and Google+ account, to utilize AutoShare. You can always keep your old YouTube name, but your accounts must by connected via the same Gmail address.
You can additionally monetize your YouTube account, and there is strong opinion that this will increase your Google+ Search Engine Optimization.
Monetizing your YouTube account will also enable you to upload videos over fifteen mins in length. And once you have carried this out, you’ll have the ability to brand your Channel. This is a formal process rather than simply “good branding techniques”: You’ll want to send your YouTube username to your Google Account Team and request to have your account changed to a brand channel if you want to access all your Channel branding perks.
You can add an Google Plus annotation to your videos any time by using the Google+ button as a graphic “Hot Spot” attached to your Profile URL, to urge people directly to go to your Google+ profile.
There is a lot more to all the options of making use of video with Google+: And if specific features are glitchy, presently in flux – or even simply not there any more– relax! Google+ is changing, ironing these out– and everybody else is experiencing the same factors you are. Take a deep pause, create a Hangout, and get going.
After all, you want to be the one who has grasped all the business opportunities– while many others are only beginning to uncover them!
Phew, pretty lengthy post but I want to give you all the steps so that you can get out and start using video with your Google Plus pages.
If you are you on Google Plus be sure to add us to your circles and of course please leave a comment if you enjoyed this “How To” info.
Register to get an invite to attend our next ==> Google Plus Hotseat Hangouts